Rustic mustard tart


A new week is beginning! A vegan week! Yes, every week don’t have to start a Monday; that would be boring!


It’s been a while since I wanted to launch myself a bit more in this new world that is veganism. For a short time, in order to not put too much pressure on me and to enjoy the experience – and to reassure Mister on the fact that I’m not going to continue the experience “until I don’t know when”, which has been the case after my first pescetarian year ;)


“Pressure?”, yes because it could look easy for some people, but for me, it’s a big deal ! Varying meals, continuing to enjoy the food and the same time than changing my everyday habits. No egg, no butter, no cow milk… I don’t spend a day without milk with my cereals in mornings and a piece of cake for dessert, it’s going to be some work ;) Hopefully, dark chocolate is authorized, phew!

You see the steam? It's hot!!

But I’m equipped! My local supermarket is a good supplier: vegan “milk” (soya, oat, etc.), coconut oil, sesame, nut or other oleaginous plant puree, oat flakes, flaxseeds, nuts of all kinds, and of course, probably a bit of margarine and soya cream from time to time, we’ll see. In any case, fruits and vegetables will still be in my kitchen, for my great pleasure :)


Actually, beginning this week makes me feel like I’m taking time “for me”, for my comfort, my well-being, it’s a bit like if I was going to do a cool fitness week. Even if it’s not going to be restful :D Anyway, I have the feeling that this new food is going to be good to me. We’ll see that, this answer will be in one week :) Or more ^^ no no no, I’ve said one week!


To start in this new world, I propose you an easy recipe, which I usually do for diner during the week (not so well looked, I admit) but with a different pastry this time: a rustic mustard tart. “Rustic” is brought by buckwheat flour and some tomatoes to enjoy the last ones of this season (What, it’s already too late? Noooo). Here no butter then, but olive oil instead! I already have tried this pastry before (yes, we can’t start a war without some training) and I confirm it today: this one will definitely be part of the everyday recipes at home – veganism or not.

Well, sorry for the talk, I will be quicker next time!

For a big beautiful mustard tart, you will need:

For the crust pastry
  • 120g buckwheat flour
  • 80g classic flour
  • 40g whole flour
  • A pinch of salt
  • 4 tbs olive oil
  • 100 to 120ml cold water
For the garnish
  • Mustard
  • 4 tomatoes
  • Thyme

Into a salad bowl, mix together the 3 kinds of flour and the salt. Add olive oil and mix again. 

Pour some water little by little while mixing (you will eventually need to mix with your hands), until getting a dough not to dry, not to sticky. Form a ball and keep it wrapped in plastic for 30 minutes in the fridge.


When the dough has rested, roll it out on a floured worktop and cut a circle a bit bigger than your plate.

Spread with as much mustard as you wish, really until the edges of the pastry :p. Sprinkle the outline with some thyme and fold the pastry to make a raised edge. 



Clean and thinly slice tomatoes, put them on the mustard. Sprinkle the tart with some thyme.


COOKING

Put in the oven for 15-20 minutes at 200°C.


TIPS AND TRICKS

Use the pastry left to make some small patterns! Val’, I stole your idea for the leaves ;)

Brush the raised edges and the pastry leaves with a bit of soya milk to slightly brown them.


SERVING SUGGESTIONS

Green salad of course to accompany!


Well crusty under, smooth inside, the pastry was really good! Concerning the garnish, no risk taken. Here is a good way to start the “week” :)


Rose.

9 comments:

  1. Très jolie tarte qui me parait sublime et délicieuse !
    De très belles saveurs alléchantes. ;-)
    Courage pour ce nouveau monde qui nous promet de très belles recettes ;-)
    Bisous, et un bon week-end !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coucou Lyne !
      En fait, j'ai déjà fait cette semaine végan il y a quelques temps (je suis en retard dans mes traductions ...). Et effectivement, c'était vraiment bien !!!
      Passe une bonne soirée et un bon dimanche :) Bisous !

      Delete
  2. Rah j’adore les tartes fines à la tomate ! Avec de la moutarde, ce doit être encore meilleur :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rose, this looks incredible! I love that you've included photo instructions here for pastry novices like me. Can't wait to try this savoury tart! It's so simple and fresh :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Allison! I've stoped to translate my recipes in English, it's a shame ... because there is a lot more vegan ones recently that could please you. You can still go on the French version of my blog - http://lespetitsplatsderose.blogspot.se/ - if you want to take a look at the pictures :)

      Delete
  4. that looks yummy I wanted to try this kind of tart with tomatos and mustard since a while but I forgot... lol (there is a translation for lol in english? lol again)
    in a few weeks (or months?) I think that I will try with tomatos feeded with a lot of sun lol
    (l'excès de lol est du au fait que j'essaye de parler anglais mais que je ne suis pas sûre d'y arriver si bien que ça)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your English is pretty good to me. You should keep on coming here to train you (and me ;). I do think LOL is correct in English too :D
      You're right about tomatoes ... It's really hard for me to skip them during winter. I should try harder.
      Hugs Jülide!

      Delete